The following is a list of publications and resources that were referenced in the creation of the Cider Judge Program.
2.1 Recommended Readings
- The Art of Cidermaking, Paul Correnty, Brewers Publications, 1998.
- Craft Cider Making, Andrew Lea, Crowood Press; Third edition, 2016.
- The New Cider Maker’s Handbook, Claude Jolicoeur, Chelsea Green Publishing, 2013.
- Cider: Making, Using & Enjoying Sweet & Hard Cider, Annie Proulx and Lew Nichols, Storey Publishing, Third edition 2003.
- Cider, Hard and Sweet: History, Traditions, and Making Your Own, Ben Watson, Countryman Press; Third edition, 2013.
- Apples of North America: Exceptional Varieties for Gardeners, Growers, and Cooks, Tom Buford, Timber Press, 2013.
- The New Book Of Apples, Joan Morgan and Alison Richards, Ebury Press, 2003.
- The Book of Pears: The Definitive History and Guide to Over 500 Varieties, Joan Morgan, Chelsea Green Publishing, 2015.
- Cider Digest is an Internet discussion group on cider with moderators and participants with several years of cider making experience.
- Perry Pears, Long Ashton Research Station, 1963. Out of publication but available from some public libraries and:
2.2 Advanced Reading
A collection of cider related articles on the BJCP website has been assembled for quick access. This is where updates on topics of interest to cider judges will be provided. Not all material in this section is relevant for the exam, but it represents recent trends and knowledge pertaining to cider.
2.3 Important BJCP References
Current competition materials can be found on the BJCP website in the Competition Center. Other important BJCP references include the most current program rules, information and structure. These documents are stored in the following locations:
- BJCP Cider Style Guidelines
- BJCP Special Ingredient Descriptions
- BJCP Exam Program Description
- BJCP Cider Scoresheet
- BJCP Cover Sheet
- BJCP Flight Summary Sheet
- Sample Cider Scoresheets
- BJCP Judge Instructions
- Judge Procedures Manual
- Competition Rules & Regulations
- BJCP Member’s Guide