Due to the new single-round format of the National Homebrew Competition (NHC), in which all judging will take place in the three days leading up to HomebrewCon (HBC), the BJCP will be unable to host our traditional members reception. At prior conventions, this event would include lunch and educational content. For judges participating in NHC judging, the AHA is hosting a judge orientation and reception on Monday, June 20. Below are the BJCP events planned, including a list of highlighted HBC sessions by BJCP judges.
BJCP Members Meeting
Friday, June 24 | 5:00pm – 6:00pm | Room 411-412
Format: Updates from the BJCP board and staff with member Q&A
BJCP Exams (all exam formats offered)
The BJCP will be hosting all formats of our exams in Pittsburgh, PA leading up to the official start of Homebrew Con. All exams will take place after regularly scheduled judging of the National Homebrew Competition. The exam schedule is as follows:
- Beer Judging Exam: June 21 (Tuesday)
- Mead Judging Exam: June 22 (Wednesday)
- Cider Judging Exam: June 23 (Thursday)
To register for these judging exams, please contact Kristen England
- Beer Written Proficiency Exam: June 21 (Tuesday)
To register for the beer written exam, please contact Bruce Buerger
Registration must be complete by June 6th. Please contact the appropriate exam administrators listed above with any questions.
Highlighted HBC Speaker Sessions by BJCP Judges
Below are several highlighted sessions from BJCP members that may interest BJCP judges at HBC. Please check the current HBC schedule to verify times and rooms.
- Beer Styles: Past, Present, and Future (Gordon Strong, BJCP President Emeritus & Julia Herz, BJCP Certified Judge) | June 24, 1:45 pm, Room 403-405
- Demystifying the BJCP Exams: Tips and Tricks for Earning Master-Level BJCP Exam Scores (Dennis Mitchell, BJCP President) | June 25, 10:15 am, Lecture Hall 407
- Who Nose? You Nose! Sensory Magic in a Box (Shawna Cormier, BJCP Certified Judge) | June 24, 1:45 pm, Room 319-321
- Evaluation of Five Lager Yeast Strains on a Munich Helles Recipe (Larry Reuter, BJCP National Judge) | June 24, 10:15 am, Room 319-321
- Make Your Best: Essentials of Recipe Design and Revision (Josh Weikert, BJCP Grand Master II Judge) | June 23, 9:00 am, Room 403-405
- What Makes a Hop American and Where Are American Hops Headed? (Stan Hieronymus, BJCP National Judge) | June 24, 12:30 pm, Room 403-405
- Know Grain, No Pain: Understanding Milling and Mashing (Jen Blair, BJCP National Judge & Rachael Hudson, BJCP Recognized Judge) | June 23, 2:30 pm, Room 480-410
- Pitfalls and Maintaining Balance when Using Fruit Additions (Mike Brennan, BJCP National Judge) | June 24, 10:15 am, Room 301-304