Update: Subsidized kit ordering information (April 2014)
What's going on?
The BJCP has partnered with the Siebel Institute to provide commercial kits to BJCP exam prep classes, and to subsidize kits for BJCP members. These are not custom kits, but the BJCP was involved with developing and testing the final product. The kits are described in full on the Siebel web site.
Siebel handles order fulfilment for us. Individual orders are placed through the BJCP. We then periodically collect them into groups and place batch orders with Siebel. This ensures that we will have fresh kits sent out, that we won't run out of inventory, and that we won't have to have volunteers handle product fulfilment. The kits use liquid rather than powder, so they are easier to mix. The samples come in vials that can be resealed, so the samples can be used multiple times (with careful measuring).
This initiative is funded through our Continuing Education Program. Details may be changed in the future depending on available funds and demand. Please provide feedback to the BJCP Education Director or your Regional Representative.
What's in the kit?
Each sample flavor makes one liter, which provides enough for at least 20 samples. The characteristics in each kit are:
- DMS (Dimethyl Sulfide)
- Ethyl acetate
- Ethyl hexanoate
- Isoamyl acetate
How do I order a kit?
If you want a subsidized kit for use in an exam preparation class:
- You need to have the exam approved and scheduled.
- You need to order and pay for the exam kit using our exam kit ordering web application. You must select the registered exam from a list; only one kit may be ordered per exam.
- When ordering, please note that kit orders are processed by the Siebel Institute within two weeks from the time they receive the order from the BJCP. Since they also sell kits to other customers as well, there may be times that they are low on inventory. Therefore, last minute orders may not be received by the time you need them. Please place your kit order with the Education Director at least two months before the first date that you plan to use it.
If you want a subsidized kit for your own purposes:
- Use the our Kit Ordering web application. You must authenticate using the BJCP portal, and pay for the kit using PayPal. The ordering process is similar to that used for BJCP Name Badges.
- Please order at least two months in advance of when you need the kit. Kits have a finite shelf-life, so don't keep them around indefinitely. They must be kept refrigerated.
- Any active BJCP member holding the rank of Recognized or higher may purchase one off-flavor kit a year. This is the same kit provided to organizers of exam preparation classes.
What's it cost?
The kit costs US$50 to registered exam prep classes. The BJCP is subsidizing the cost of the kit using Continuing Education Program funds, allocated from the BJCP annual operating budget. Siebel is handling product fulfilment. The BJCP will pay for the shipping costs.
The subsidized kit for members costs US$100 (shipping included). A member may order one kit per year at this price.
Sensory Training Kit Orders Shipped Outside of the United States — Please Read!! There will likely be associated costs with the delivery of sensory training kits outside of the United States, including local taxes and customs or duty fees. Depending on the country, these fees may be substantial. These are destination charges and are the responsibility of the member to pay upon delivery. The BJCP will subsidize the cost of the kit and the shipping but will not pay these additional destination charges. If you have any questions regarding what additional fees you may need to pay, please contact your local customs officials for those details.
Contact the Education Director for specific details.