In case you've ever wondered ...
We've all seen the lines in such things as copyright notices, etc., that include "Beer Judge Certification Program, Inc." But have you ever wondered if this was merely standard wording, or is the BJCP an actual corporation?Well, it's a fact. The BJCP is incorporated under the laws of the State of New York. This was an action taken when we became an independent body in 1995, and has served us well ever since. Below, you will find the actual Articles of Incorporation as they are on file. One of the significant things you may notice is that many of the original signatories are no longer active in the program, but our existence as a legal entity is stronger than ever, thanks to their efforts back then.
CERTIFICATE OF INCORPORATION
THE BEER JUDGE CERTIFICATION PROGRAM, INC.
UNDER SECTION 402 OF THE
The undersigned, a natural person of the age of eighteen or over, desiring to form a corporation pursuant to the provisions of the Not-for-Profit Corporation Law, does hereby certify that:
1. The name of the Corporation is The Beer Judge Certification Program, Inc.
2. The Corporation is a corporation as defined in subparagraph (a) (5) of Section 102 of the Not-for-Profit Corporation Law and shall be a Type A corporation under Section 201 of the Not-for-Profit Corporation Law.
3. The Corporation is formed for the purpose of certifying individuals as competent evaluators of home-brewed and commercial beer and for certifying competitions in which home-brewed and commercial beer is judged. In furtherance of these purposes, the Corporation shall:
a. Administer a testing program through which an individual may qualify as a certified beer judge;
b. Administer an educational program for individuals already certified as beer judges and those seeking to become certified to increase their knowledge of different beer styles and beer-evaluation techniques.
c. Certify that persons sponsoring a competition during which beer will be judged are complying with competition standards issued by the Corporation and are utilizing the services of judges certified by the Corporation.
4. In furtherance of the foregoing purposes, the Corporation shall have all the general powers enumerated in Section 202 of the Not-for-Profit Corporation Law together with the power to solicit grants and contributions for any corporate purpose and the power to maintain a fund or funds of real or personal property for any corporate purposes. The Corporation shall have the right to exercise all other powers which are, or hereafter may be, conferred by law upon a corporation organized for the above purposes or incidental to the conferred powers.
5. All individuals who are certified as beer judges by the Corporation shall become members of the Corporation. No member of the Corporation shall accept compensation for evaluating beer, but may be reimbursed for any reasonable expenses incurred as a result of doing so.
6. Notwithstanding any other provision of these articles, the Corporation is organized exclusively for the pleasure and recreation of its members, as specified in Section 501(c)(7) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as it may be amended, 26 U.S.C. ' 501(c)(7) (or any corresponding provision of any future United States internal revenue law), and shall not carry on any activities not permitted to be carried on by a corporation exempt from Federal income tax under Section 501(c)(7).
7. The Corporation is not formed for pecuniary profit or for financial gain and no part of its assets, income or profit shall be distributed or inure to the benefit of any private individual.
8. Nothing herein shall authorize the Corporation, directly or indirectly, to engage in or include among its purposes any of the activities mention in Section 404(a) through (v) of the Not-for-Profit Corporation Law.
9. No substantial part of the activities of the Corporation shall be devoted to carrying on propaganda, or otherwise attempting to influence legislation.
10. The office of the Corporation shall be located in New York County, New York. The books and records of the Corporation shall be held by Russ Wigglesworth, PO Box 751271, Petaluma, CA 94975.
11. The names and addresses of the initial directors until the first annual meeting, each of whom is of full age, are as follows:
Name Address a. Dennis Davison Ed. Note: There is no reason to list their home addresses here on the website. b. Darryl Richman c. Martin Lodahl d. Greg Walz e. Roman Davis f. Steve Daniel g. Bob Gorman
12. The Secretary of State is hereby designated as agent of the Corporation upon whom process against it may be served. The post office address to which the Secretary shall mail a copy of any process against the Corporation served upon him is
Ed. Note: Again, there is no reason to list this address on the website.
13. In the event of dissolution, the assets and property of the Corporation remaining after payment of expenses and the satisfaction of all liabilities shall be distributed for the not-for-profit purposes of the Corporation to such organizations as shall qualify under Section 501(c) of the Internal Revenue Code.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF this certificate has been signed and the statements made herein affirmed as true under the penalties of perjury this *** day of ****, 19**